Do you live close to a busy road? Are you tired of having to remember closing the windows and doors all the time to keep the smoke and dust at bay? Are you tired of allergic reactions or throat irritants? If one or all of these are your situations, you certainly need to make some adjustments to your life, but that doesn’t include moving out of your roadside property. You need to buy a powerful air purifier that will pump continuous streams of safe and fresh air in your house all the time. Fortunately, there are plenty of such air purifiers in the market.
In this guide, we will have a glance at seven best-performing air purifiers excellent for this task. But first, what’s the price do you pay for living close to a busy road?
If you’re in a hurry, check out our best picks:
Risk of Living near Highways: One of the things one considers when buying a property is its proximity to transport networks. The closer a home is to a major highway or train station, the better of particular concern is living close to a busy road. While it may be convenient for you to travel around easily and faster compared to a person living in the hinterland, living close to a busy highway carries considerable setbacks, some of them are bad for your health. According to the American lung Association, long term exposure to traffic pollution causes asthma attacks in children and increases the risk of dementia in older people.
Most cars on roads today still use diesel or petrol. As they speed by, some of the waste smoke finds its way into your home. The smoke particle can be throat irritants and may worsen the conditions of an asthmatic individual. It can also cause allergies in some people.
Traffic pollution mainly contains Nitrogen Oxides (NOx) and Particulate Matters (PM).
If you live close to a highway, therefore, buying an air purifier designed for maximum elimination of NOx and PM particles is the best idea you can have.
List of The 7 Best Air Purifier for Traffic Pollution:
Check our review on Best Air Purifiers for Smoke
1. Winix HR900 True HEPA Air Purifier
If you live close to a busy highway, you surely need a different kind of air purifier for traffic air pollution. And if you live close to a busy highway and a fluffy pet in your house, you need an air purifier that can eliminate a great deal of dust and smoke particles, plus an invisible cloud of fine animal fur. One of such air purifiers is Winix HR900. Its 5 stage purification is good is an ultimate solution to anyone dealing with smoke, dust, a lot of animal dander in the household.
The true HEPA will eliminate particulates, and the activated carbon filter will trap the fumes, NOx, VOCs, and other gases coming from combustion vehicles. Winix HR900 combines both particle and VOC sensors that will be effective at running the air purifier automatically during the rush hour.
- 5 stage filtration system with PlasmaWaveTM technology.
- True HEPA filter – An incredible efficiency of 99.97 percent.
- AOC Advanced Granular Activated Carbon Filter.
- Permanent and Ultimate Animal/Pet pre-filter.
- Ambient light sensor, air quality Sensor.
- Air Quality Indicator, Timer.
- 4 Fan Speed – Choose from Auto mode/Sleep mode, Turbo, High, Medium, and Low following the condition in your room.
Pros & Cons:
2. Dyson Pure Cool TP04 HEPA Air Purifier
This air purifier is a darling of the eye – the giant oval arch-like head is beautiful to look at. And it stands at a towering 5.5 feet! It is like having a piece of art in your living room. But that arch was purposefully made to increase the surface area for sucking more air into the filtration assembly, a job it does perfectly well. For instance, unlike other air purifiers which require to be turned around to absorb air from specific directions, this air purifier will suck air from any direction and without help.
Unlike other HEPA air purifiers, the Dyson TP04 has NO2 sensor, which will help to detect air pollution automatically. Along with the NO2 sensor, it also has PM2.5, PM10, and a VOC sensor. It is one of the best air purifiers for users keen to combating traffic air pollution with its filters and sensors.
Air Delivery Rate: 617 cfm
Sensors: PM2.5, PM10, NO2, VOC, Temperature, and Humidity.
Annual Filter Replacement Cost: $79 (check current filter price)
- Real-time Pollutant Detection – It will automatically detect contaminants and provide you with reports on NO2, VOC, PM 10, PM 2.5.
- 360° Activated Carbon and sealed HEPA filters – Activated carbon filter traps gases ad odors. In contrast, the Glass HEPA filter traps 99.97 percent pollutants, microscopic allergens, bacteria, and anything else measuring 0.3 microns in thickness.
- Projects powerful airflow – Air MultiplierTM technology generates over 617 cubic feet of fresh air per second.
- Intelligent reporting – It will automatically sense, capture, and project before reporting to the convenient Dyson Link App.
- 350° Oscillation – you can adjust it between 45° and 360° to dispense purified air to all corners of the room.
- Backward Airflow Mode – It doesn’t cool you while purifying the air.
- Night mode – to cut the noise and conserve power, it monitors and purifies with a dimmed display and less noise.
Pros & Cons:
Read the complete review >>> Dyson TP04 Air Purifier
3. Bissell Air320 Air Purifier (2768A)
Filtering out the diesel fumes and dust emanating from traffic air pollution requires a tireless machine that will run most of the day and eliminate most of the dust, smoke, and odors. The Bissel 2768A air purifier is competent enough for this job.
It comes with three filters: a separated pre-filter, activated carbon filter, and a HEPA filter assembly. If you add its 5-speed fan into the mix, you end up with a restless machine that hungrily filters the lousy air for extended periods. It comes with a built-in particle sensor, which will help the air purifier run automatically when traffic pollution enters inside the home.
- 3 Stage Filtration: pre-filter + activated carbon filter + HEPA filter (which traps over 99 percent of anything 0.3 microns thick).
- Honeycomb-shaped activated carbon filters – they capture gases and VOCs from traffic pollutions, including odors from indoor cooking, smoke, pets, etc.
- Whisper-quiet operation – at night, the machine adjusts to night mode to give you a peaceful sleep.
- Feather-like front panel filters, intuitive controls, and discreet cord wrap blend it into your home.
- Automated Circulation System monitors the air quality and displays color-coded feedback to the user so that they can make appropriate fan adjustments.
Pros & Cons:
4. Austin Air B400B1 HealthMate Standard Air Purifier
Smoke and wood debris from wildfires has joined traffic air pollution as one of the biggest contributors to household contaminants in some places in America. Homeowners realize the need to have an everyday protection machine instead of a single air purifier; you would only switch on if you when it’s vital. Being a workhorse, Austin Air B400B1 HealthMate Standard Air Purifier offers a better alternative option if you want a machine that will run nonstop for hours, even days, clearing highway smoke, dust, and wildfire particles from your home.
Austin Air HealthMate Standard incorporates a high-quality filter for both particulate and chemical pollution. The filter uses 15 lbs of activated carbon and zeolite substances to eliminate gases, VOCs, NOx, and 60 square feet pleated medical-grade HEPA filter to trap any airborne particles that are sized down to 0.3 microns.
- True medical-grade HEPA filter – the 4 stage filter assembly, aided by the core HEPA filter, eliminates most of the particles from the air, including 99.97% of all contaminants with a diameter of 0.3 microns.
- Over 780 cubic inches (15 lbs) zeolite and activated carbon mixture excellent at removing NOx, fumes, VOCs, bad odors, and chemicals.
- 5 years of filter life.
Pros & Cons:
5. MOOKA True HEPA GL-FS32 Air Purifier
If you are looking for the best air purifier for removing bad odors, this is one of the best machines in the market. It offers other benefits a typical air purifier would provide, too, including trapping 99 percent of 0.3 micron solid particles from traffic air pollution. What makes it great for getting rid of highway dust and smoke from vehicles is its 5 level purification system that will eliminate much of the contaminants. 6th barrier.
Air Delivery Rate: 177 cfm
Annual Filter Replacement Cost: $59 (check current filter price)
- 5 level filtration – pre-filter, True HEPA filter, activated carbon filter, negative ion generator, and UV light sterilizer.
- Auto Mode and Smart Sensor – the inbuilt odor sensor automatically detects the contaminants and adjusts the fan accordingly.
- Convenient features – there are plenty of convenient features onboard, including remote control, night light, built-in timer (1,2,4,8h), 2,000 hrs filter replacement reminder, and preconfigured sleep mode.
Pros & Cons:
Read the complete Mooka GL-FS32 Air Purifier Review
6. IQAir HealthPro Plus Air Purifier
IQAir HealthPro Plus is made from the industry’s safest materials using healthy filtration technologies and incorporating the HyperHEPA filtration system. The HyperHEPA filter can eliminate 99.95% of airborne particles that are sized down to 0.003 microns according to their test. A true HEPA filter can remove only the particles that are sed down to 0.3 microns.
The gas and odor filter, which they called V5-Cell, is a 5 lbs weigh filter filled with granular activated carbon and activated alumina, which will eliminate NOx, gases, and fumes come from the highway pollution. The filters are so kind, and this machine is the ultimate air purifier for your home, especially if you are located close to a busy highway.
Air Delivery Rate: 300 cfm
Replacement filter price:
- PreMax F8: $69 for 18months (check price: Amazon, Sylvane)
- V5-Cell Gas & Odor Control: $99 for 2 years (check price: Amazon, Sylvane)
- HyperHEPA: $199 for 4 years (check price: Amazon, Sylvane)
So, the average replacement filter cost per year is around $145
- HyperHEPA filter – this is an enhanced HEPA system, eliminate ultrafine particles. While HEPA filters can eliminate particles as small as 0.3 microns thick, HyperHEPA can eliminate particles 100 times smaller.
- A wide 6 level fan speed, separate filter life indicator for each filter.
- High Air Delivery – can deliver 300 cfm of clean air that is suitable to use it in 750 square feet at 3 air changes per hour.
Pros & Cons:
7. Levoit LV-H134 Tower Pro HEPA Air Purifier
Levoit LV-H134 is very much like any other HEPA air purifier excellent for filtration of smoke, odors, and dust particles emanating from nearby roads, albeit with a few distinct additional features. Control differences, however, are still small. It is the capacity difference that sets this device from its close competitors in the market. The Levoit LV-H134 can comfortably support 780 square feet of space at 3 air exchanges per hour (ACH).
The 360-degree air inlet is very useful for air circulation throughout the room. Its smart laser particle sensor triggers within 30 seconds when detecting pollutants in the air. The air purifier is CARB compliant and energy-efficient.
Air Delivery Rate: 312 cfm
Sensors: Particle sensor
Annual Filter Replacement Cost: $110 for 7 months usage on average (check current filter price)
- Sleep and Auto Modes – sleep mode keeps the device working at low settings while the auto mode automatically switches fans per the air condition.
- Air quality laser sensor – it monitors the quality of air and notifies you about it.
- Timer – you can set the specific duration you want this device to run before automatically shutting down.
- 360° Air Intake and Cyclone Technology which enables the device to filter air 50 percent faster.
- 3-Stage combined filter design – consists of three filters: pre-filter, activated carbon filter, and true HEPA filter.
Pros & Cons:
From the above list of air purifiers, it is evident that the best air purifier for anyone living close to a high traffic road should come with at least 3 filters. Part of the filter assembly should be activated carbon filters, which are useful in removing bad odors and fumes. A HEPA filter, preferably a medical-grade one, should be part of the filter assembly. It is useful in the elimination of microorganisms and other smaller particles measuring 0.3 microns thick. Pre-filters and medium filters help in removing large-sized and medium-sized particles, respectively. With such a machine, no smoke particle or odor would escape back into the air.